Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bubble...bubble...stir #cmc11

My daughter is one of the pickiest eaters on the planet. It has been eleven plus years of turning her nose up at nearly everything that shows up on a plate. It took her nine years to eat pizza, and she still won't eat a hot dog. What kid doesn't eat hot dogs???

I began cooking with her at a very young age, and it helps to show her the she can be empowered and creative as she learns. It took her ages to realize that all red sauce isn't super spicy, and if she made it herself, she can control the outcome.

We spent this morning making a big pot of sauce before she went shopping with my wife and her Mimi. It has been simmering all day, making the house smell heavenly as I bang out some more homework on this grey October day.

I hope she hangs onto her curiosity about cooking, and stays leery of alcohol. As I asked her to add a splash of Malbec to the sauce, she hesitated, thinking the wine isn't for kids.

I like that.

Keep that up, so you don't drink your face off at a party as a teenager.

I love you, Cenzi, and thank you for cooking with me this morning.



Here's what we did :



Heat a few splashes of olive oil, along with some salt and pepper in a large (!) sauce pot.

Finely chop two vidalia onions and toss them in, stirring and reducing them halfway.

Mince a full bulb of garlic, and stir it into the onion.

Continue the reduction over medium-high heat.

Add a 28 oz can of each : crushed tomatoes, stewed (& drained) tomatoes, tomato puree.

Stir 'em up.

Add to taste : fresh basil, oregano, crushed red pepper (not too much - it leeches out easily) a sprinkle of paprika, a cup or so of good red wine (Do NOT skimp), fresh black pepper, thyme, a healthy palmful of sea salt, and a teaspoonful of granulated sugar.

Heat to full rumbling boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat to a minimum, stirring frequently for 30 minutes, then reduce to a simmer.

Allow it to simmer and blend for a minimum of three hours, longer if possible.

Tweak and add spices to taste as it changes and melds.

I also cheated and bought some meatballs from the butcher. Just brown them over medium-high heat with some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder, ensuring they're cooked through, then drop them gently into the sauce.

Cannot WAIT until dinner!

#cmc11

2 comments:

raj said...

wow that was a perfect and great to look...thank you ....http://www.elevenplus.co

Q said...

Thanks! I don't have a lot of recipes in my head, but this is a go-to for me.